DKI is committed to helping our local business community improve and evolve as the local economy and the greater economic climate continue to change. As part of that effort, we have partnered with the Kittanning Library to sponsor a business resources section of our favorite business and leadership books.
We made our first book purchases for them in 2023 and we plan to continue to add more each year to provide information and inspiration on a wide range of topics from leadership to team building to marketing. If you have any suggestions, please contact us and we’ll do our best to them to the library collection as soon as possible.
Are you starting a new business? We’d love to hear from you!
We offer grants to new businesses at various times throughout the year and we also offer a free membership to any new business that is starting in Kittanning or the surrounding area. You can apply here and we’ll get in touch with you as soon as possible to introduce ourselves.
There are also many resources in our area beyond our organization. For business planning help, we recommend getting in contact with the Clarion University Small Business Development Center. For help with finding space to operate your business, contact Armstrong County Planning and Development.
And of course, if you are having any issues on your journey, we would love to help you any way we can as well. We are an organization that is made up of local small business leaders. We’ve been through the process of starting a business and we understand the struggles of daily operation as well. Please reach out and get connected.
We are stronger together and our goal is to see you succeed.
2023-2024 DKI Small Business Grant
Through our partnership with Nextier Bank, we’re excited to offer $7500 in Small Business Grants to new and existing local businesses beginning in November 2023. Grant applications are open now and will be reviewed beginning in the last week of October. The process is competitive, so please do not delay your submission. Once the grant funds have been depleted, applications will close for this round. We encourage all eligible businesses who meet the following criteria to apply:
Who the Grant is For:
- Someone wanting to start a new business in the Kittanning area defined by the 16201 zip code.
Helpful Hint: Your business plan should be completely fleshed out and you are ready to launch or are already into your business launch. If you are still in the early planning stages, we recommend attending the First Step: Starting A Small Business in Pennsylvania Workshop and utilize the other resources offered by the Small Business Development Center at Clarion University. These resources are free to you and have been helpful to many businesses in the area. You can find more information at https://www.clarion.edu/SBDC/index.html
- An existing business in the 16201 zip code that wants to add a new business offering.
- An existing business in 16201 zip code that has experienced economic hardship due to circumstances beyond their control such as fire, flood, health challenges, or other unforseen circumstances.
What the Grant Includes:
- $500-1,000 to accomplish the goal of your application.
- One year membership in DKI.
- Promotion of your business through press releases and social media posts.
What are the Stipulations?
- Businesses must be based or being opened in the Kittanning area defined by the 16201 zip code.
- Grant money must be used for the purpose specified on the grant application.
- Grant money must be used within 90 days of receiving the check.
- A representative of your company must appear in a picture with a representative of DKI that will be used for a press release and social media posts.
- Your business will be featured on social media posts to promote the business and or the specific project this grant was awarded for.
- You must submit proof that the grant funds were used for their intended purposes.
- You commit that If you do not use the grant money for the purpose stated on your grant application or within the 90 day timeframe, you have to pay back the funds within 15 calendar days of Downtown Kittanning, Inc.
- You agree that if you do not abide by these terms, DKI may file in small claims court to recover the original grant funds as well as court costs.
- You also agree that if you do not abide by these terms, your one year complimentary membership in DKI will be revoked.
How do I apply?
Fill out the google form at: https://forms.gle/asj2fuB7hs9Twvtw7
We’re excited to see the ideas that will be submitted and we look forward to working with you to make our city an even better place to live, work, and play.
Do you have any favorite podcasts, blogs, or publications that have helped your business in any way?
We’d like to curate them here so that others can reap the benefits as well.
Make suggestions with this form and we’ll get them added as soon as possible.